March 13: Cranks & Clunks
Don’t look now, but one more win — the Pirates visit Clearwater and the Phillies tomorrow — and the Bucs will tie their longest winning streak (5) of all last season.
If today’s 5-4 win — in 10 innings — over the Blue Jays seemed familiar, there was good reason. …
- Bill Murray: Because we associate him with Groundhog Day. In Monday’s walk-off win over the Orioles, Josh Harrison drove in the tying run and Carlos Paulino had the winning RBI. In today’s walk-off win over Toronto … aw, you know the rest.
- Starling Marte: In the first, he beats out a rather routine grounder to short for a single. A few innings later, he pounds the right-center alley for a stand-up triple. As they used to say on the streets, he’s fly.
- Alex Presley: Didn’t let two failed bunt attempts in the ninth get him down. Pulled a grounder to first that still moved the trying run into scoring position.
- Me: Hope nobody saw my erroneous Tweet this morning that Lucas May was one of the players reassigned to Minor League camp by the Bucs. I mostly hope Lucas didn’t see it.
- The Core: When all the snow has melted, this will be one of those “Remember when?” deals. But Andrew McCutchen, Pedro Alvarez and Neil Walker — the preferred No. 3-4-5 hitters in the lineup — are a combined 10-for-69 (.145).