St. Paddy Day: Cranks & Clunks
The Pirates mounted their usual ninth-inning rally — it’s becoming a tradition — but this one fell short in an 11-9 loss to the “Yankees.” Why the quotes? The Bombers’ lineup included the likes of Brennan Boesch, Chris Stewart and Melky Mesa.
- Jeff Banister: The Bucs’ bench coach fills up the lineup card daily, giving it his caligraphic touch; today, he used green ink.
- Clint Barmes: Clocked his second homer, which is one more than Andrew McCutchen has, and two more than Pedro Alvarez or Garrett Jones has.
- Josh Harrison: Went airborne away-from-the-infield for an acrobatic catch of a blooper in short left-center. While playing second base.
- Mike Zagurski: Took the match-up lefty’s exam, and didn’t grade well; entered the game with men on second and third and one out to face lefty-hitter Dan Johnson — and walked him to load the bases, then had Melky Mesa go Granny off him.
- Russell Martin: Hope he’s just warming up; Yanks stole four bases with him behind the plate, leaving him 1-for-11 in throwing out runners.
- Travis Snider: Was on his way to third when the center fielder dropped Harrison’s liner in right-center, and was forced at second. What?!