March 22: Cranks & Clunks
The Pirates stole another one, ambushing the Rays 6-4 at McKechnie Field on Stefan Welch’s only Grapefruit League swing. So is this exciting, or troubling, baseball? The Bucs keep winning late, with players who will not be around for the regular season, against pitchers with the same fate.
Who cares. Put another shrimp on the barbie, says Aussie Welch.
- Jeanmar Gomez: The staff loves his stuff, and he left a glowing calling card for later this season with four innings of one-run pitching. Has allowed one earned run in his last two starts, covering seven innings.
- Jason Grilli: He’s back. Another zero.
- Jared Hughes: He never went away. A workhorse already, has made nine appearances, given up one run in 9 1/3 innings, struck out 14.
- Mike Zagurski: Who knew he was a first-half Spring Training pitcher? Zip in his first five outings, zapped in the last three.
- Alex Dickerson: You know how two magnets repel each other when you try to touch them by the same poles? That was the Minor League first baseman and the baseball in a guest appearance. Oh, he also took a called third strike his lone at-bat.
- A.J. Burnett: He got his work in in a Minor League game, over 100 pitches worth. He also got worked over by the Minor Leaguers.